Collection of the South Carolina State Museum. Columbia, South Carolina.

Designed and built by Czechoslovakia for its fledgling army during the 1930s, this was a formidable weapon. After Nazi Germany invaded the small nation in 1938-1939, it soon added these to its arsenal to supplement its own significant stock of automatic weapons. German troops and its allies used the ZB 36 on the Eastern and Western fronts throughout World War II. This example was brought back by an American GI from South Carolina after his service in Europe and eventually was donated to the State Museum.