A prime waterfront property in the colonial village, lot 11 is often referred to in conjunction with the adjoining lot 12. Like many of the town lots, the history of lot 11 is incomplete.
It might have been lots 11 and 12 that Jeremiah Milner offered for sale in 1738. Milner didn't identify the lots by their number. He simply described them as "Two Lotts joining together in Dorchester-Town, fronting the Bay, with 3 Dwelling houses, one Kitchen and Stable, all under good Cypress saw'd Pales."
When the map of Dorchester was drawn in 1742, lots 11 and 12 were owned by a person named Charnock. In 1762 Ann Charnock sold the two lots to John Thompson and James Hunter. Thompson and Hunter were business partners, operating stores in Charleston and Dorchester. Even before they purchased Mrs. Charnock's land they were running a store in the small town, perhaps on the two lots they would later buy.
After Thompson's death, his surviving partner sold the two lots. John Joor bought lot 11 in 1764. Merchant, planter, and landowner, John Joor amassed his wealth through a variety of business ventures. At one time he owned a schooner that could carry 90 barrels of rice. He was given the contract for the construction of the fort at Dorchester-until the Commissioners of Fortifications determined that he lacked the necessary skill to oversee the tabby work and cancelled his contract. On lot 11 in Dorchester Joor had a warehouse where local planters could store their rice until it could be shipped down the river to Charleston. He also owned a wharf nearby that ships could use to load and unload their cargoes. Joor offered free use of the wharf to ships that loaded rice into his warehouse; others had to pay a fee. And he was making money off the land, growing rice and indigo on his plantation just outside of Dorchester.
John Joor was a wealthy man when he died in 1772. In addition to his plantation, there was lot 11 in the village, complete with a house, a kitchen, and warehouses big enough to hold four hundred barrels of rice. There were also several undeveloped pieces of land, thirty-nine slaves, livestock, furniture, and "an exceeding good PEW, in St. George's Church, Dorchester, situated in the north ile." He was buried in the churchyard cemetery at St. George's, next to a wife who had preceded him in death. His will called for his estate to be sold with the proceeds divided equally among his six children. Five years after John Joor died, his executors were still trying to sell portions of the man's property , including his rice warehouses on lot 11.
State Park Service archeologists examined lot 11 in 1992 and found
something totally unexpected: the remains of a brick-making operation. So far
no historical documents have been found that refer to this use of the lot.