The colonial legislature authorizes the new Anglican parish of St. George's. The new parish church would later be built in Dorchester, the village settled by non-Anglican "Dissenters."
Act of Dec. 11, 1717, establishing St. George's, Dorchester Parish and appointing commissioners to select site to build church. No. 381, South Carolina Department of Archives and History, S165001.Printed in Thomas Cooper and David J. McCord, eds., The Statutes at Large of South Carolina, 10 vols. (Columbia: A. S. Johnston, 1838-1841), Vol. 3, pp. 9-11.